My first blog

This is a blog made for learning how to create blogs and use them in teaching English

понедельник, января 23, 2006

Volzhsky

It happens so that when I tell my foreign friends about Volgograd I usually have to remind the name of Stalingrad which it had before and which in its turn reminds of the famous battle of the WWII. Volzhsky, where I am living now, is a beautiful city situated on the left bank of the river Volga (you may see the picture on the right) 20km north-east of Volgograd. The population of Volzhsky is about 300 thousand people with more than 20% younger than 16 years of age. The city itself is young: it was founded in 1954 to settle those who were building Volgograd Hydro Electric Power Station. So, the city is only 52, and as the statistics says, only ¼ of its citizens are older than their city.
It’s a beautiful place although there was almost nothing 50 years ago, only steppe. Now the city is all green, in summer it may boast its wonderful flower-beds and neatly cut trees and bushes (on the left the picture of the centre). Last year it was called the most comfortable city in Russia among those with the population of 300 thousand!
Several years ago the authorities declared that they were going to make Volzhsky “a city for students”. Now there are 4 high educational institutions, 5 research institutions, 3 specialized and several technical colleges here. My “native” one is Volzhsky Institute of Humanities, the largest and the most famous among those who are going to become lawyers, economists, linguists, historians, psychologists and ecologists. May be our students are not the most talented ones but it seems that they learn here not only their future profession but also something which could be called the ability to adapt themselves in this not-always-friendly world.In the centre of Volzhsky you may see a very large billboard with the words “Volzhsky is the city of my destiny”. Although I wasn’t born here, every time I see these words I can’t but agree with them: here I got married, gave birth to my daughter, found friends and my work which gives me so many possibilities for communicating with people and, in particular, brought me to the wonderful workshop on blogging!
Finally, a view of the surroundings.

5 Comments:

  • At 8:46 ПП, Blogger Claudia Bellusci said…

    Dear Anna,
    Your story does not resemble a student's one at all. On the contrary it conveys your feelings about living there. Thanks for letting us into your world.
    Regards,
    Claudia (Argentina)

     
  • At 11:35 ПП, Blogger SusNyrop said…

    Dear Anna Volga,

    I love your photos.
    And, you know what - I think I like the idea of teachers in the role of humble students trying to find out how to do new things,such as blogs :-)

    yours,

    Sus

     
  • At 11:37 ПП, Blogger Bee said…

    Hi Anna,
    What a beautiful region and thanks for sharing it with us. Who knows one day I will be able to visit it!In the meantime, I get to know about it through your blog.
    Warm regards from Brazil,
    Bee

     
  • At 11:46 ПП, Blogger selga_roze said…

    I went to Volgograd and the surrounding area back in 1982... I guess everything has changed since then :)

    Selga from Latvia

     
  • At 6:50 ДП, Blogger Naeko said…

    Hi Anna,

    Thank you for your great introduction to your city! I have to confess I have almost no knolwedge about Russia (except for some historical events), but the city sounds great with so many young people living there. The pictures were impressive, too!!

    Naeko

     

Отправить комментарий

<< Home